ISB Admissions FAQ
Q: What age does my child need to be for Nursery, PreK, and Kindergarten?
A: ISB has a September 1st birthday cut-off date. This means children must be:
- 3 years old by September 1st of the year they enter (for Nursery/3’s program)
- 4 years old by September 1st of the year they enter (for Prekindergarten/4’s program)
- 5 years old by September 1st of the year they enter (for Kindergarten)
Q: What is your application deadline?
A: The deadline for applying for the 2017-2018 school year is extended to December 1, 2016. We suggest that families submit the admissions application early in the fall in order to expedite the scheduling process for school visits (they are scheduled in the order that applications are received).
We do not need supplementary materials (school reports, teacher evaluations) included with the application in order to begin the admissions process. Supplementary materials are due by January 6, 2017.
Q: Do children need to be fluent in the target language (French or Spanish) in order to apply to ISB?
A: For Nursery, PreK, and Kindergarten, we consider children with all levels of exposure and ability in the target language. Our classes are carefully balanced to include fluent speakers, beginners, and a range of levels in between. We can consider monolingual 1st Grade applicants on a case-by-case basis.
For 2nd–5th Grade, children do need to speak, read and write at grade level in the target language in order to apply to ISB. A language assessment will be a part of the child’s school visit.
For 6th–8th Grade, students with all language levels are welcome to apply and we will place them in an appropriate language class, ranging from beginner to bilingual.
Students who already have background in Spanish or French will have a language assessment as part of their school visit so that we can determine appropriate placement.
Q: What is the application process and timeline for the 2017-2018 admissions cycle?
- Parents should register to attend an Admissions Preview Evening, offered in October and November.
- Parents must submit an admission application online by December 1, 2016.
- The following visits, interviews, and assessments must be completed by mid-January 2016.
- Nursery, PreK, Kindergarten, and 1st Grade applicants come for a Play-Based Assessment on a Saturday. Parents participate in a group tour on a separate school day. *1st grade applicants will also have an informal target language assessment as part of their Play-Based Assessment.
- Applicants for 2nd-8th Grade come for a classroom visit and language assessment. Parents interview with a member of the admissions staff or a school administrator. We schedule these for the same day when schedule permits.
Families applying after Preview events have been completed will be scheduled for tours once ISB receives their application.
As a participant in ISAAGNY (Independent School Admissions Association of Greater New York), ISB notifies families who have completed the admissions applications (including supplementary materials) and school visits by January 15, 2017 according to the following timeline:
- Nursery & Prekindergarten on Wednesday, February 8, 2017 (parent reply deadline: March 3)
- Kindergarten on Friday, February 10, 2017 (parent reply deadline: February 17)
- 1st-8th grade on Tuesday, February 7, 2017 (parent reply deadline: February 28)
Q: How and when can families visit ISB?
A: ISB offers fall Admissions Preview Evening events and spring tours. In addition, we offer daytime tours to families who have submitted an application and would like to see ISB during the school day.
Q: Do parents need to visit ISB before applying?
A: We strongly recommend that parents attend an Admissions Preview Evening before submitting an application.
We realize that entering the admissions process is a wonderful opportunity to find a meaningful school match for parents and their children. ISB’s unique blend of the International Baccalaureate programs, language immersion, and international community may be new to many families and we find it is helpful for parents to have their questions answered in these sessions before they apply.
In addition, it is a nice chance for prospective parents to meet the school administration and other members of the ISB community.
Q: Is there a school visit for the child?
A: For Nursery, PreK, Kindergarten, and 1st Grade applicants, children will be scheduled for a Saturday Play-Based Assessment: an informal, open play session led by ISB faculty. Nursery and PreK parents will participate in a separate group tour on a school day with a member of the ISB Admissions team. Kindergarten and 1st Grade parents will be scheduled for a parent interview.
2nd–8th Grade applicants will be scheduled for a classroom visit and language assessment. Parents will have an individual interview with an Admissions staff member or school administrator.
When possible, we will schedule the parent interview for the same time as the child’s classroom visit.
Q: How do I apply to ISB?
A: Our application is available on our website. Families are invited to submit the application online. The $75 application fee is payable online when submitting the application.
Q: What materials are required for admission? Does ISB require standardized testing?
A: For Nursery, PreK, Kindergarten, and 1st Grade applicants, we require a Confidential Report form from your child’s daycare or nursery school if he or she is currently enrolled in a group setting.
For 2nd–5th Grade applicants, we require a School Report (previous year and current year) and a Teacher Recommendation from your child’s current school. 6th-8th Grade applicants should submit 2 Teacher Recommendation forms.