Welcome to the ISB Library
Head Librarian: Maria Falgoust, MLIS (email@example.com)
Librarian: Amy Ribakove (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Looking for something specific? Our online bibliographic database contains all of the print books carried by our library.
SEARCH OUR ONLINE CATALOG (DESTINY)
ISB community members can also browse and borrow from our digital library through Sora. Here are directions for setting up a Sora account.
BROWSE DIGITAL CONTENT WITH SORA
International School of Brooklyn's School Library seeks to implement, enrich, and support our innovative educational program through access to multilingual resources and development of curriculum; to provide access to materials that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in our community; and to improve reading and research skills through collaboration, and traditional library education practices. The library also seeks to encourage reading as a pleasurable activity by providing a growing selection of age-appropriate, engaging fiction and nonfiction, and by regularly presenting educational and entertaining library programming. The school takes seriously the charge of creating life-long readers. The American Association of School Librarians' National School Library Standards guide our library program.
About the ISB Library Collection
The ISB Library is located in our Learning Commons in the West Building in the lower level. Click here to view a map of the Library. The Library provides the following:
- A trilingual collection of approximately 14,000 volumes.
- Print and digital materials that celebrate the diversity of the world and challenges students to engage in the global community.
- Picture books, children's fiction, folklore and fairy tales, poetry, and nonfiction books (including biographies, sports, science, art, poetry, music, and history).
- A growing collection of professional development material, including subscriptions to School Library Journal, France-Amérique, and Teaching Tolerance.
- The Librarians provide support to teachers and students around research skills and digital literacy and encourage parents to use the library.
Open Library Hours
Library services will be available Monday through Friday, 8am - 4pm. Book returns will take place in homerooms and advisory groups.
School Library Program
Pre-K 3 through 5th Graders have Library lessons once each week for a thirty-minute period. These lessons include stories, discussions, and activities. Librarians also engage with the school community by coordinating special literary events and pushing into classrooms for research skills lessons. Students in 4th Grade and above may place holds through the Library catalog and check out books to take home when on campus. All students may check out eBooks through Sora.
The Library Committee proudly supports our beloved library with special projects, events, and maintenance assistance. Committee members may choose which projects most interest them. This is a great way to get to know what is available to both students and teachers at the Library, and the resources that await them. The Library Committee is spearheaded by ISB Librarian, Maria Falgoust, and ISB parents Shayna Wellington and Kent Matricardi. Email the library committee at email@example.com for more information.
Library Committee Projects and Events
- Multicultural Book Club: Promoting attendance, in collaboration with the Diversity Committee.
- Collaborating on the Suggested Summer Reading List for all grade levels.
*The following activities are temporarily on hold*
- Annual Multilingual Book Fair
- Book Processing Parties: applying preservation materials to paperbacks and hardbacks to increase their longevity.
- Library Maintenance: shelving and inventory. Inventory can be done in sections. Please volunteer during regular time slots for shelving and possible self check-out training classes!